You're Invited to the Tasmanian Launch of Brain Injury Awareness Week 2020
Monday 17 August |10:00am|Online - Video premiere via the BIAT Facebook Page
Please join the Brain Injury Association of Tasmania (BIAT) to celebrate the launch of Brain Injury Awareness Week in Tasmania by BIAT President, Dario Tomat.
BIAT’s National Brain Injury Awareness Week theme for 2020 is Brain Injury in the Community.
In 2020 BIAT will be highlighting the reach and impact of brain injury across the community. Events planned for the week span from Ulverstone to Huonville and focus on a range of issues including family support and female concussion. With an estimated 2.2% of Tasmanians living with brain injury the week will serve to remind people that brain injury can, and does, happen to Anyone, Anywhere at Any time.
The launch video features:
- BIAT Project Officer, Robyn McWaldron launching BIAT’s Brain Injury Peer Support Program Resources, including a screening of the Peer Support Program video. These resources form part of BIAT’s recently completed NDIS (National Disability Insurance Scheme) Information, Linkages and Capacity Building Project: Rethinking Brain Injury;
- BIAT Executive Officer, Deborah Byrne detailing BIAT’s Brain Injury Awareness Week 2020 program of events including: an online Q and A session with retired clinical neuropsychologist, Mark Lamont; the lived experience of sporting concussion from the perspective of two young Tasmanian women; the BIAT brain injury prevention component of the 2020 Rotary Youth Driver Awareness Program; and an 11 year old Tasmanian’s ongoing fundraising efforts for BIAT in the community.
To keep up to date with all the happenings across the week:
BIAT Brain Injury Awareness Week Events Calendar
Please note all online events/video premieres can be accessed via the BIAT Facebook Page unless otherwise stated.
BIAT online events/video premieres will be recorded and available to view after the event/premiere.
Tuesday 11 August
- 10:30am | Hobart Brain Injury Peer Support Group | Find out more here
Friday 14 August
- 5:30pm | ASSBI (Australasian Society for the Study of Brain Impairment) Online Panel Discussion | Find out more here
Monday 17 August
- 10:00am | Online Event | Tasmanian Launch of National Brain Injury Awareness Week 2020 | Watch here
- 10:30am | Launceston Brain Injury Peer Support Group | Find out more here
- 11:00am | BrainLink (Victoria)'s Online Launch of National Brain Injury Awareness Week 2020 | Find out more here
- 11:00am | South Australia's Online Launch of Brain Injury Awareness Week 2020 | Find out more here
Tuesday 18 August
- 10:30am | Ulverstone Brain Injury Peer Support Group | Find out more here
- 11:45am | Online Event | Q & A session with retired clinical neuropsychologist, Mark Lamont | Find out more here
Mark has over 25 years’ experience in working with people impacted by brain injury and will be answering questions and sharing his insights into supporting people to move forward. With a focus on: neuroplasticity – retraining the brain to learn, concentration/motivation, and behavioural management.
You can watch the video below and read the Q&A response notes here
Wednesday 19 August
- 3:00pm | Online Video Premiere | 'Holly's Story' | Find out more here
Thursday 20 August
- 1:00pm | Online Video Premiere | 'Izzy and the real life impacts of concussion' | Find out more here
Friday 21 August
- Schools event Huonville| Brain Injury Prevention Education | Rotary Youth Driver Awareness (RYDA) Program 2020
Saturday 22 August
- Online article | Raising brain injury awareness and funds for BIAT with Izzy from Scrunch_Iz | Read here
Sunday 23 August
- Online videos| The Lived Experience of Brain Injury: Brain Injury Awareness Week 2016-2019| BIAT Facebook Page
To celebrate the end of Brain Injury Awareness Week 2020 BIAT invite you to revisit stories generously shared during previous Awareness weeks. Videos featuring people impacted by brain injury will be shared on the BIAT Facebook page throughout the day from 10:00am onwards.